On the occasion of International Women’s Day 2022, Gucci - Leader of the Action Coalition on Feminist Movements and Leadership - has released a special capsule collection, inspired by UN Women’s Generation Equality initiative, to amplify calls for accelerated progress and action towards a gender-equal future. Comprised of a T-shirt and baseball cap, the collection falls under the banner of CHIME FOR CHANGE, Gucci’s longstanding global campaign to convene, unite and strengthen the voices advocating for gender equality.
In connection with the launch of the limited release capsule collection, Gucci will provide direct funding to diverse feminist organizations, movements and activists led by Indigenous women and girls, young feminists, women and girls with disabilities, and gender minorities, transgender and gender non-conforming women, and other groups who have been historically marginalized, including though partnerships with: Women Enabled International, the Global Fund for Women, Young Feminist Europe, OutRightAction International, La Asamblea Nacional Política de Mujeres Indígenas (ANPMI), and El Enlace Continental de Mujeres Indígenas (ECMIA).
These new grants advance Gucci’s five-year commitment to UN Women's Generation Equality Action Coalitions to apply intersectional approaches; support community-led and trust-based giving focusing on the next generation of activists; and provide direct, flexible funding to feminist organizations and leaders around the world.
“We at Gucci proudly embrace the values and the action plans brought forward by “Generation Equality” to accelerate progress for gender equality. With our campaign CHIME FOR CHANGE we stand together to support the next generation fighting for freedom, equality and respect,” said Marco Bizzarri, President and CEO of Gucci.
The release of the dedicated capsule collection is part of a series of policy, programmatic, advocacy and financial commitments Gucci made in 2021 as the private sector leader of the Generation Equality Action Coalition on Feminist Movements and Leadership. The Action Coalitions are convened by UN Women to catalyze multi-sector collective action toward gender equality and deliver concrete results for girls and women in all their diversity.
Gucci responded to the call for bold initiatives with the following commitments:
- Direct, core, flexible, multi-year funding to feminist organizations, groups, movements and activists that upholds feminist funding principles and includes support for mutual aid projects and girl-led projects, and includes those that are often hard to reach, and/or who have been historically marginalized and criminalized, such as trans and nonbinary people, Indigenous women and girls, and women and girls with disablities
- A worldwide public awareness campaign calling for the global community to #ActForEqual, which has in its first year generated more than €3.1 million in pro-bono media placements across Australia, France, India, Italy, Germany, Singapore, Spain, the United Kingdom and the United States
- A dedicated edition of the CHIME Zine to amplify the voices of young feminists who are part of the Generation Equality Youth Task Force, released in July 2021 and available digitally here
- Ongoing collaboration with young feminists to provide a platform for visibility and dialogue through Gucci’s digital channels
- Achieving gender pay parity for equivalent positions within the organization globally by 2025
- Adopting, expanding and implementing practices internally to continue to advance a gender equitable workplace for all